Pickering, ON, December 10, 2013 – Pickering Fire Chief
Bill Douglas is wishing for a fire-free holiday, and he’s asking for the
public’s help to make it come true.
“With the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, it is easy
to become distracted in the kitchen,” said Chief Douglas. “I encourage everyone
to pay attention to the common causes of home fires, and through education and
awareness, I believe we can reduce these preventable fires that
all too often result in injuries or deaths.”
Something as simple as a pot left on
the stove, or a burning candle left unattended, can quickly turn festivities
into tragedy. The Fire Chief suggests using battery-operated or electric
flameless candles as an alternative.
Services also reminds residents that it’s the
law to maintain working smoke alarms on every storey and outside all sleeping
areas of their home. Everyone is urged to take a few minutes to test their smoke
alarms and install new batteries if needed. It is also a good idea to have a
carbon monoxide alarm, and a home fire escape plan with two ways out in
the event of an emergency.
Services is participating in the‘12 Days of Holiday Fire Safety’ campaign, and
will utilize Facebook and Twitter to promote holiday-themed safety messaging
with photos and videos. For more seasonal fire safety tips, visit www.ontario.ca/firemarshal or pickering.ca/fire.